Sunday, February 05, 2006

My first post

For a very long time, I have toyed with the idea of having a second blog to document everything I can find on Remco's pocketbook dolls. Searching all over the internet hasn't provided much information nor have doll collector books. I don't profess to know everything about them rather it will be a way for me to show my fascination with them and to show some of my own personal collection.
As a girl, I loved playing with dolls, but these dolls were special...first off, a waving hand. Secondly, they are the only manufacturer that I know of that made a Japanese doll in that timeframe. They were unique and portable coming with their own carrying case. They were definitely on the cutting edge. They were not teenaged dolls like Barbie nor were they baby dolls. They had a fairly extensive wardrobe and several different playsets. If you don't remember or know who they are...meet Heidi and Jan. Hi Heidi! Hi Jan! (Those commercials back in the 60's might have driven your parents nuts!)

5 Comments:

Blogger pauleygw1954 said...

I would have killed for a HEIDI doll when I was younger, evry little girl on my block had one, but BOYS were not allowed to play with dolls....so I had to wait until a few months ago. I purchase large collections for resale, mostly Barbie, but about 5 years ago I started taking in ALL doll collections. I was taken with Heidi! I let the first collection of Heidi go and regretted it. Now I am adding to my collection as money permits & ebay has them! I did a reference page on them for ebay. Looking for someone to do a website! (hint) I've gone a few steps beyond your blog, as I collect the PIP doll as she went into the Finger Dings & Flower Kids series, and love those Remco Bottle Babies, which look like younger siblings for Heidi. How come NO ONE mentions BILLY? Billy was a male companion of Hildy. He looks like a Herby with brown hair. And before I beat myself up looking for it, does the BLACK version of Heidi really exist?

5:29 AM  
Blogger pauleygw1954 said...

In following Heidi over-the-years I think they did a couple variations of the first doll, I have a couple different cases. And then there was WINKING HEIDI, and a GROW UP HEIDI w/sleep eyes and 2 wigs! AND discovered a GORW UP SALLY doll friend of GROW UP HEIDI w/same body but new head mold. Collecting the dolls and fashion with little or NO information out there. Using old Christmas Sears Catalog pages, the back of Heidi fashion boxes, and a 1960's doll book by Cindy Sabulis, which is a wonderful source as she has a whole chapter on REMCO dolls. Recently discovered Finger Ding (Pip) heads on Pip bodies!!! Really enjoying this Heidi Hobby
:)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Trunah said...

I love the Remco pocketbook dolls and I've been collecting them for a while. I have Heidi, Jan, Pip, Hildy, Spunky and Herby all mint in their original shelf clothes and in their original mint cases. I have about 20 of the Remco outfits that were made in the 60's for Heidi, Jan and Spunky but I'm always searching for more on ebay.Pip and Hildy are my favorite of the pocketbook dolls, but Herby is so cute to. I got my first Heidi when I was nine years old and shortly after getting her for my ninth birthday she was stolen so my adult collection has brought back some very precious memories. I was delighted to see this blog and read about other people who share my love for these adorable little dolls

11:43 AM  
Blogger adriaticnyc said...

I played with Heidi as a child and was 7 years old when my mother bought me my first edition. I played with her non-stop until I was almost 12 years old. I was not a Barbie girl.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have my original Heidi and Hildie dolls - in original clothing and cases. However, the Hildie case is coming apart. My sister had Jan and Heidi's brother Billy. Had lots of fun playing with them.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home